top of page


Definitions and to update your Marital Status

If your marital status changes, let us know by the end of the month following the month in which your status changed. However, do not tell us of your separation until you have been separated for more than 90 consecutive days.

When we get notification of your change in marital status, we will recalculate your CCB taking into consideration your new marital status and your new adjusted family net income. Your CCB will be adjusted starting with the month following the month that your marital status changed.




Common-law partner – This applies to a person who is not your spouse, with whom you are in a conjugal relationship, and to whom one of the following situations applies. They:

  1. Have been living with you for at least 12 continuous months; Note: In this definition, 12 continuous months includes any period you were separated for less than 90 days because of a breakdown in your relationship.

  2. Are the parent of your child by birth or adoption;

  3. Have custody and control of your child (or had custody and control immediately before the child turned 19 years of age) and your child is wholly dependent on that person for support.


Separated – You are separated when you start living separate and apart from your spouse or common-law partner because of a breakdown in the relationship for a period of at least 90 days and you have not reconciled. Once you have been separated for 90 days (because of a breakdown in the relationship), the effective day of your separated status is the date you started living separate and apart.



You are still considered to have a spouse or common-law partner if there is no breakdown in the relationship and you were living apart for reasons such as work, studies, health problems, immigration or incarceration.

Spouse – This applies only to a person to whom you are legally married.


bottom of page